Self-Care with a Plantable Wish Kit

Recently, my Dad has begun gardening. He dug out a section of the fence and tilled the soil for carrots, tomatoes, peppers, and more. My mom jokes that one of his new mottos is, "Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes." Which is funny considering his daughter is a therapist. . .
 I've written before about the family benefits to gardening, but there are personal benefits too! For example, I believe that gardening helps me develop perspective and patience. Whether your preference is flowers, fruits, or vegetables, nurturing a garden is a form of self-care.

Self-care frequently comes up in my counseling sessions, and together my clients and I analyze the time they spend nurturing their own souls. A sense of fulfilling self-care looks different for everyone: it could be a relaxing bath once a week, or playing golf once a month, or disconnecting from electronics everyday for half an hour. It's self-care, and it's personal.

If you need help in the self-care department of your life, visit UnCommonGoods, the online store with amazing hand-crafted and unique gifts. I recommend the Self Growth Wish Kit from BloomIn. This self-care kit allows you to write a wish or burden or goal down on seed paper and then watch it grow! This idea is simple, but the effects can be profound.

Metaphors are a powerful form of human communication, for children and adults. Sometimes emotions are easier to manage with a physical outlet. For example, for someone that struggles with anxiety, cleaning the house is a tangible substitute for internal chaos. A clean home has visible results you can see and touch, whereas emotional anxiety is more complex to soothe.

That's why I love the idea of these plantable wish seeds! They are the perfect metaphor for growth and change over time. As you nurture the seeds, you are symbolically caring for your desire on the card. This self-care wish kit would be a great stocking stuffer for your insightful teenagers or your best friend. Wishes can bloom true!



On one card, I wrote that I want to be a better mom: more creative, more patient, and more joyful. As I water the seeds I can ask myself, did I listen to my children today? Did I color with them? Did I dance around the room with them? What do I need to do before bedtime to show them love? As I diligent nurture my goal, I will see the fulfillment grow before my eyes as a small garden of flowers. Hopefully I will also see myself as a better Mom because of my new behaviors.

The wish kit also encourages you to tell others about your seed card. This allows them to help facilitate your growth and change too. Just like a helpful neighbor waters your lawn during vacation, a helpful friend can visibly "check-in" on your growth process.

UnCommonGoods carries many other unique gifts for birthdays and Christmastime. Their artisan crafted items are frequently made in the USA, and UnCommonGoods donates to charities, such as Reach Out & Read, which benefits young children's literacy skills. You can feel good about supporting UnCommonGoods. Visit their website to find the perfect gift for yourself or someone you love.

Disclaimer: I  had the opportunity to choose a gift from UnCommonGoods at no cost in exchange for this review. All opinions are my own and were not influenced by the company.


Labels: ,