Best Ever French Toast

First off, I'm not a food blogger.
I don't know how to take a picture of food and make it look Pinterest-worthy.
But I do make some awesome french toast.



Every Sunday morning, our church missionaries come to the house for breakfast. I've made all sorts of dishes for them, but this is the one I'm "known for." The missionaries who have been here for the longest prep the younger ones in advance about my french toast. Those compliments make me feel so special!

Here's the recipe:

2/3 cup heavy cream
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
slices of thick Texas Toast or thick homemade bread
fresh fruit
sweetened whipping cream (a can of Redi-whip)

Preheat your stove top. I like to use a cast-iron flat skillet because the temperature stays constant across the surface. When a droplet of water bubbles on the skillet, your pan is ready.

Whisk the cream, eggs, syrup, vanilla, and salt together in a medium sized bowl. Make sure it's well whisked (is that a word?) so that the eggs are totally incorporated into the rest. No clumps of egg should linger on the whisk. 

Then I use a spatula to lower a slice of toast into the egg mixture. I don't soak the bread or make it soggy. I put it in, flip it, and then hold it to the side of the bowl to let the excess drip off. The entire surface of the toast should be covered, but not soggy!!!

Throw it on the skillet. Flip it when the toast is browned on the bottom. It's done when the second side is also browned. Put it on a serving tray.
I like my french toast to be completely cooked through. I don't like the taste of uncooked or mushy egg. 
Using heavy cream instead of milk helps the egg mixture stay on top of the toast, rather than soak the bread through, so it cooks more thoroughly without burning the toast.

While the french toast is cooking, I start slicing fresh fruit.
Peaches and strawberries are my favorite.

When all the toast is cooked, place the serving tray on the table next to the plate of fresh fruit slices, whipping cream, and syrup. I stack my layers this way: bread, cream, fruit, and a drizzle of maple syrup, more bread, more cream, fruit, and another drizzle of syrup.
I rationalize this concoction by the fact that a dollop of whipping cream has less calories than an equal amount of syrup. . . but obviously I use both, so I'm not really concerned about calories.  (=

Let each member of the table make their own "tower" of french toast and enjoy the smiles and yums.



Labels: